Table of Contents
We all want to walk away from the summer unscathed by sun damage, but that’s easier said than done if you don’t know what sun-safety measures to take to stay properly protected. To steer you in the right direction, we’ve put together a few simple steps to protect your gorgeous glow from harm as well as solutions for mitigating past damage.
Steps to avoid sun damage:
● Always wear your sunscreen. Sun damage doesn’t take rain checks, so no matter the forecast, make sure to start every day off with sunscreen. Choose a broad-spectrum formulation with an SPF of 30 or higher for optimal protection from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Apply to every area of exposed skin and then reapply every two hours, and more frequently if you’re going swimming or anticipate perspiration.
● Limit your time in the sun. Check the UV index before stepping outside. This will give you a good measure of whether you need to seek the shade or if it’s safe to be in direct sunlight. Typically, peak sun hours when you should avoid too much exposure are between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., but this may shift day-to-day.
● Wear protective clothing. Clothing is perhaps the simplest way to stay safe in the sun as you never need to reapply. Specifically, long-sleeved shirts and pants, wide-brimmed hats and UV-blocking sunglasses should do the trick. To prevent UV rays from penetrating your skin, choose dark or bright colors and densely woven cloth materials.
● Avoid tanning beds. No matter what you’ve heard, tanning salons are not a safe alternative to sunbathing. Tanning beds emit the same UVA/UVB radiation as the sun, putting your chance of cellular damage at a high risk. If you want to safely achieve a sun-kissed glow, we recommend opting for a sunless tanner instead.
Ways to repair sun-damaged skin:
● Clear + Brilliant®. This gentle laser is designed to fight off lackluster skin as a result of sun exposure and environmental conditions so you can prolong the look of youthful skin or address the early signs of aging. An easy treatment to add to your regular skin care routine, Clear + Brilliant can help improve overall skin tone and texture and leave you with a lasting glow in just a few sessions.
● IPL photofacial. The gold standard for treating skin discoloration, intense pulsed light (IPL) photofacials are a great way to improve the appearance of sun-damaged skin. Without invasive measures or downtime, IPL photofacial targets common skin concerns like age spots, freckles, brown spots, sunspots and redness while stimulating the growth of new collagen.
● SkinMedica® products. This groundbreaking, scientifically based skin care line offers a range of medical-grade products designed to repair sun-damaged skin, one of which is the Lytera® 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum. This serum is formulated to address even the most stubborn skin discoloration with improvements seen in as early as two weeks. Lytera 2.0 also pairs flawlessly with in-office treatments, including chemical peels, laser treatments and microdermabrasion.
You protect your glow, and we’ll help you maintain it! Learn more about preventing and reversing the effects of sun damage by calling (520) 529-9665 or filling out a consultation request form today.